Yes, this is what you’ve all been waiting for. A jailbreak for the iPhone 3GS. And it’s awesome. To get started right now, go to purplera1n.com. Download it. Make sure you have windows(but not 7), the latest iTunes installed, and an iPhone 3GS with 3.0 firmware. Connect your iPhone normally. Click “make it ra1n”. Wait. On bootup, run Freeze, the purplera1n installer app. Hopefully you’ll figure out what to do from there. Best tutorial gets linked to from purplera1n site. This tool is beta. Make sure to have everything backed up before running. Also if Cydia doesn’t show up after running Freeze, reboot.
news June 22nd, 2009
Dev Team released redsn0w utility for MAC and Windows users. The latest version in 0.7.2.
redsn0w is an easy to use, multi-platform, multi-device jailbreaking and unlocking (iPhone 2G only) tool for the iPhone 2G (original iPhone), the iPhone 3G (but not the 3GS) and also the iPod touch (first and second generation). Currently it is available for Windows and Mac OS X (there are some issues using redsn0w with OS X PPC, please use an Intel Mac until we have this problem resolved).
- GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a 3G iPhone with yellowsn0w and rely on yellowsn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should NOT use redsn0w right now. Ultrasn0w (the 3G carrier unlock) is not included with this release and therefore your baseband will be locked and unable to use an operator other than the official one it was bought for. UltraSn0w will be released via APT (cydia and icy) soon. If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.0 carrier unlock works with this redsn0w release.
- Yellowsn0w in its current form will NOT work with the baseband version that is present in the 3.0 update, you will need Ultrasn0w, which will be released sometime soon, Ultrasn0w will work with all iPhone 3G models (but not 3GS), even ones that were previously unlockable, Ultrasn0w (when available) will be released via APT (this means you will be able to get it via Cydia or Icy).
- Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
- Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
- At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the latest version of redsn0w.
- This app is suitable for the recent 3.0 release
- redsn0w will NOT work for the iPhone 3GS.
- redsn0w WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch, iPod touch 2G and the iPhone 3G (not the iPhone 3GS).
To use redsn0w simply upgrade the device in iTunes to firmware version 3.0 and run redsn0w to activate and jailbreak the device (and if you are using an original iPhone 2G, it will unlock it too!)
What is Pusher?
Pusher is a tool that installs world-famous Installer.app that gives access to numerous award-winning tools for the iPhone and allows you to use best of both App Store and Installer without compromising your security. Download for Mac OS X or Windows (coming soon). Pusher will put Installer.app onto your 2.0.2, 2.1 or 2.2 iPhone (both 2G and 3G) as well as a number of other goodies.
Gain access to hundreds of tools that are not available in App Store for some reason and that allow you to expand the functionality of the iPhone, including our own Kate, Qik, Snapture and many others!
While giving access to Installer.app, Pusher is not opening the system partition of your iPhone for writing. This makes it more secure and prevents potential information theft that can be fairly easy with the “normal” jailbreak methods.
Gain the ability to set the SpringBoard background
Just successfully updated my iPhone first generation to 2.0 firmare. It works great and I would like to share that method with all my readers.
You need following softwares and firmwares:
1) Install iTunes 7.7 (you don’t need to uninstall previous version of iTunes), connect iPhone to PC, synchronize(to save all contacts and etc.), disconnect and close iTunes.
2) Open iTunes 7.7, connect your iPhone and hold Home + Sleep/Wake button until it put into Restore more
3) Restore iPhone to Original 2.0 Firmware via iTunes 7.7 (Holding SHIFT on your keyboard press Restore button and select iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw) Quit iTunes when iPhone will be restored.
4) Rename folder C:\Documents and Settings\Your windows account name\Application Data\Apple Computer to Apple Computer backup and My Documents\My Music\iTunes to iTunes backup.
5) Uninstall iTunes 7.7 via Control Panel
6) Install iTunes 7.5
7) Connect iPhone to PC using DFU mode
This YouTube video should help you How to put your iPhone in DFU mode
8) Restore iPhone to Custom 2.0 Firmware (Holding SHIFT on your keyboard press Restore button and select 20_347_Cid.ipsw. If you get 16
news June 16th, 2008
So, what’s with the new iPhone 3G?
Well, it’s pretty much the same iPhone as before — except now it’s down to $200, and has way faster 3G data, A-GPS (which is even better than regular GPS), as well as a flush headphone jack (which is great for anyone who doesn’t want to use Apple’s bundled headphones). Oh, and it’s also a little thinner around the edges, and a little thicker at the center. If you want to know what it was like to try out, check out our iPhone 3G hands-on.
How’d they get the price so low? The iPhone used to be crazy expensive.
Actually, depending on how you do the math it’s not actually cheaper. Now, in some countries the iPhone is free when you sign up for service, and in the US you’ll pay $200 for the 8GB model — half what it was a month ago — so you’re definitely paying less up front. But the data plans cost more now, so you might wind up spending more money over the long run.
The first one was good, but take a look at this! The new version of iLiberty+ (OS X), version 1.5, has been updated with to include many new features and payloads, from assorted app packs, to a brand new, built in help file. Also, v1.5 comes with a new addition to the menu bar,
news April 4th, 2008
Rubicon Consulting published data from an online survey of 460 “randomly” selected iPhone users. Full PDF of results is available from Rubicon. They claim there’s a 3.8% margin of error with a 90% confidence interval, but the validity of the data depends on how truly random their sampling was.
Summary of results:
- Email is the #1 function.
A few interesting graphs:
As of tomorrow, Sunday, March 30?th, the long awaited project iPhone PWNED will be available to the public! – it
A new version, v3.0, of Zibri
Another neat new program (actually, two of them) popped up online for complete GUI iPhone and jailbreaking. Both of the programs (one is for Mac, the other is for Windows machines), just like ZiPhone, can unlock any existing and currently available iPhone firmware version (from v1.0.0 to v1.1.4
iPhone Journal is Stephen Fry proof thanks to caching by WP Super Cache